Happy fall break friends! I'm popping in today to share with you about a wonderful resource that I started using last winter called Flocabulary. My firsties love Flocabulary and I think you and your students would too!
What is Flocabulary?
- Flocabulary is a web-based learning program for all grades and subjects that uses educational hip-hop music to engage students and increase achievement.
- Teachers in more than 60,000 schools have used Flocabulary’s standards-based videos, instructional activities and formative assessments to develop core literacy skills and supplement instruction across the curriculum.
- Flocabulary offers more than 750 instructional units to support instruction in math, science, social studies, ELA, vocabulary, current events and life skills, with new content every week.
- Flocabulary offers a deep instructional sequence that teaches standards-aligned skills and content while helping students develop literacy skills across the academic curriculum. Flocabulary support teachers in all content areas and help teach and assess reading and writing skills through the recently-released instructional tools we offer like Read & Respond and Lyric Lab.
- Engagement has long been the “bread and butter” of Flocabulary—their roots are in catchy and accurate educational hip-hop videos. Flocabulary’s videos create authentic engagement, their complementary instructional tools provide new opportunities for learning, and their rhyme writing tool and Lyric Lab empowers students to get the creative juices flowing with their own educational raps.
Flocabulary has added lots of new content recently. One of my most favorite new additions is the contractions video for grades K-3. Next week we will be learning all about contractions and I plan to use this video and the activities on the Flocabulary site that go with it to introduce our contractions unit.